RICK TOZZI'S CAESAR SALAD
If you don't get it right - lightning will strike you!
This recipe is for approximately 6 people.
- 2 heads of Romaine lettuce, torn into small pieces, (with stalk of the Romine removed).
- (We remove the stalk of the Romine to give the salad a more delicate taste).
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced (use a garlic press)
- Rub crushed garlic against sides of a wooden bowl with a fork
- 1 ½ tbsp. anchovy paste.
- NOTE - we have had many problems with anchovy paste.
- If it doesn't come out of the tube looking like toothpaste - then chances are it is bad.
- Use 4 whole anchovy filets instead and using 2 forks mash up the filets and make them into a paste.
- Mix with garlic
- 1 tsp. grey poupon mustard
- Mix with garlic and anchovy paste
- 2 whole eggs ( Use 1 egg if making salad for less than 6 people)
- Beat eggs into mixture
- 10 shakes of Worchestshire sauce, approx. 2-3 tbsp. (should change the color of the dressing)
- Juice from 2 ½ lemons (use ½ lemon per person, assuming large, juicy lemons are used).
(Use more if mixture does not taste "lemonie")
- Stir mixture frequently while adding the lemon juice, to enable the lemon juice to "cook" the eggs.
Mixture should taste tart!
- Add approximately 1 to 1 ½ cups (plus) Parmesan cheese to thicken the mixture.
- Mix all ingredients together.
This mixture can be made 2 - 3 hours ahead - cover and keep Refrigerated until you are ready to use.
When ready to serve:
- Add 1 large tbsp. olive oil and 1 large tbsp of Crisco or Wesson vegetable oil for each person eating the salad,
- one extra tbsp each - for the salad bowl!
(I prefer my Caesar salad to be real moist).
- Mix the oil in with the mixture
- Add 1/2 of the Romaine lettuce to the salad bowl AND
- Fold (not toss) the salad with the mixture.
- Add the remaining Romaine and repeat the above step.
- Add croutons at the last minute.
- Add additional Parmesan cheese as needed
Recipe will serve 5 - 6 people.
- Tomato Sauce
- Meat for the Tomato Sauce
- Veal Piccatta
- Veal Marsala
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Eggplant Parmigiana
- Pasta è Fagioli
- Wedding Soup
- Go To Recipe Page
- Home Page